From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Feb 2012 18:42:04 -0600
>. Northeast sees massive bee losses

I have not heard of losses in the Northeast but will advise the list many
beekeepers are seeing losses when they really should be seeing the best bees
in years (like myself & Karen).

Plenty of starvation going on and those beekeepers which did not treat last
fall or did not get control are seeing high varroa infestation.

Starvation is mainly due to the fact the bees were able to fly instead of
clustering. many hives are sitting on many frames of brood ( I could split
most my hives next week in Missouri if I had queens).

Plenty of varroa already in hives which have been rearing brood all winter.
Many may think I am kidding but I have hives which have a larger number of
bees than last fall plus many frames of brood.

Many beekeepers which sent their bees to Texas are worried about starvation.
Those beekeepers have made a higher number of trips south to feed already.

Early reports are there will be plenty of package bees, brood and queens
available
this year.

Karen has the right idea and better plan on making splits or her bees will
be hanging in the trees in April as will mine.

bob