Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 2010 18:06:33 -0600
> Medhat has developed a vaporizer that uses forced air to open the cluster
> so that the vapors can penetrate.  He has much more data of efficacy of OA
> vapor.

The title says it all.  Actually, Medhat has been very busy, and made a few
comments, but I should probably add to what I offered previously, since I
realize that the history I offered is incomplete, being up to date to about
2004 but omitting some developments after that.  (My lame excuse is that I
retired about then and went AWOL.  I dropped my diary for a time, around
then, too).

At the turn of this century, Cor De Wit developed an air blower oxalic
evaporator device that was more or less self contained and would treat four
hives at once.  It was designed around the proven Varoxx unit.

He presented his results to our AGM in 2002.  By that time, there were
already such blower units in use in Europe, but I think Cor's was the most
ambitious by far due to its design for four hives and short cycle, and
wheels for moving around a bee yard far larger than most in Europe.  Medhat
Nasr was our new Alberta Apiculturalist at the time, as I recall, having
replaced Ken Tuckey.

By 2003/4, Cor had further refined the machine and others were copying it,
although I did not see others that were on wheels.  Most were single-hive
units.

There were various attempts, including one that kept a pressure chamber full
of liquid oxalic under thermostatic control.  That unit is pictured
somewhere in my diary.  It ultimately blew up, literally, without hurting
anyone, but was abandoned as an obviously bad idea.

Various other versions were built in beekeepers workshops and some worked,
some didn't.  All of them made smoke, though.  Most people really did not
know if they worked or not because both the application and the monitoring
was less than consistent and results were not independently verified or
replicated.

That is where Medhat stepped in.  With his scientific training, his team
(Sam & Roy) and contacts, he helped Cor refine and compact the design and
did efficacy studies which he detailed in the ACIDF Project Final report
#20004A071R issued in 2008.  (My understanding is that contrary to what some
have thought, Medhat and his team do not any make money off this invention
or wish to).

So, the machines now on offer from Cor are a product of the work of a group
of people.   My apologies for not realizing that earlier.

Those interested in more details or getting one can read the brochure at
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/articles/2010.htm

As mentioned, I have compiled some of this material on my site and updated
errors and omissions.  Any further comments or criticisms are welcome. I'm
sure I have missed other worthwhile points.