From:
Lennard Pisa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Sep 2012 14:32:31 +0000
In response to Allen, It is about survival and presence. The AHB seem to be pretty prevalent regardless of the fact that individual colonies do not do well. They are not going extinct I believe.  What exactly is AHB? I don't care. Definition of a name is not important for me in this matter. AHB is a made name for a population of feral honeybees that is supposed to have african origins. I would go for calling them wild american yellowish honeybees too.  The problem might lay in the combination of treatment free and bee(keeping)...what problem exactly might that be? 2 fold problem: 1) Beek do not like the traits of "survival honeybees" for beekeeping. Small colonies, swarms, aggression and very little honey. 2) Beek don't cope with the "natural dynamics" of animals like honeybees...they like constant numbers and don't like (can't have) 80% dying or 300% increase in bad and good years (assuming the habitat is good enough in good years). Imagine running a business with cows with dynamics like that.  My answers are very crude and general, little nuance but I am really busy right now.  all the best,Lennard