From:
Tim Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 13:44:21 EST
I was wondering about an opinion on immersion heaters.  Since the price
doesnt make a difference, would everyone use a 220 or 110 volt version. Since
I am not a "big" operation I dont think power usage is a serious concern.

On an opinion note:  As a keeper in the south, first in Georgia and now in
southern Tennessee, I personally believe the T-mite problem arrives from the
overwintering.  That is not to say T-mites wont kill southern bees.  When I
got my first 2 hives, the clusters were very small. I would say less than a 3
lb package, more like a softball or slightly larger.  They had little or no
stores and from the k-wings I saw, I am "guessing" T-mites.  I managed to
nurse them through the winter by feeding directly with sugar syrup in quart
jars.  Now I had 2 hives in my back yard and while the nights got below
freezing, most days were 40+ degrees.
Now this type management would be impossible in a larger operation and up
north where it never gets above freezing for weeks on end.

The second year I had 5 hives and made sure all the hives were fed well
before November, were treated etc.  These 5 were very healthy the next spring.

My rambling point is that assuming the winters are mild and not like this one
has been so far, I think that southern bees can handle a larger load of
mites, not so much due to the bee, but due to the conditions.  I wonder if
"northern" bees wouldnt handle higher loads down south too.  One major effect
of larger loads is smaller clusters. And smaller clusters in 20 below weather
wont last as long as larger clusters.

Just a thought.

Tim Morris