From:
Robert E Neely <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 1997 12:14:28 EST
On Thu, 3 Apr 1997 09:14:20 -0500 Marc Sevigny <[log in to unmask]> writes:
>I'm relatively new to the list.
>
>I constructed two deeps and 20 frames in anticipation for the arrival
>of my
>first shipment next week.  I've been doing some reading, but I
>couldn't find
>answers to some of my basic questions.
>
>I live in Central Massachusetts.  The weather here is still wintery
>(below
>freezing at night, cool during the day (50F on average).
>
>Is introducing the bees to the hive typically done so early in the
>season (we
>still have a deep snowpack, although that is not typical)?
>
>1. The books that I borrowed suggested introducing the bees in the
>evening.  I
>assume that means in the daylight before dusk, is that right?
>
>2. When I get the bees and feed them, do I try to keep them warm?  Is
>there
>stress introduced by bringing them from warm conditions outside into
>the cold?
> How is this potential stress minimized?
>
>3. From what I read, they suggest hiving the bees as soon as possible.
> Should
>weather be a factor in making this decision?  I can hive them the day
>they
>arrive, but is it better to wait for the next day or two if the
>weather will
>be warmer or dryer?
>
>4. Any good ideas for embedding the wax foundations into the wire?  I
>don't
>have an electric gizmo, and dont have an embedding wheel.  What
>do-it-yourself
>methods are practical from things found around a typical house?
>
>That's it for now.  I'm excited and looking forward to this list's
>advice.
>
>Marc Sevigny
>Harvard, Mass

Hi Marc:
I also am new to the list but will try and be brief. I started with my
first colony in 1946. We learn something new every time we work them. I
just dumped a swarm on top of my head this morning. It was about twenty
feet up in an oak tree.  This is my third capture this spring. We are
running about a month early this year. (No stings)

1. I would hive them in the warmest time of day this time of year. Have
some sugar syrup ready. (Two parts water and one part sugar. Let this set
awhile and clear before using so as to not clog up the spray bottle)
Spray them good at least five minutes before hiving.

2. I can't speak for the time of the year. (Being cold up there) I live
in Goose Creek, SC and we have already had temps. in the upper eighties
here.

3. Waiting too long to hive them will increase the stress. We can only
hope for "live arrival as they could get chilled in transient.

4. As for imbedding wire, in a hurry you may consider rinning two
strands. One on each side of the foundation. It would help to invest in
some eyelets to put un the holes to protect the frame ends. I have used a
"fine tinned wire" available in most hardware stores. One type is used
for elecrtric fences.

Good Luck,

Bob Neely
Goose Creek, SC