From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 12:08:02 -0700
Bob & Liz wrote:

> What's all the fuss about? If they are not the kind of bees you want (then)
> requeen.

I agree

> No such thing as AHB. Scientists separated those races and now can't tell
> them apart!

Sorry, Bob, anecdote and rumor

> I am curious what John replies back when the commercial beekeeper says the
> above?

I would say that I have great respect for commercial beekeepers, having known
them since I was born and worked with them cooperatively since 1964. Miles
Wedgeworth, the Bensons, Jim Smith, Joe Moffett, and Lenard Hines have been some
of my teachers. By the way, where are you, Joe?? Why not get online in these
groups - I know you are out there.

> Isn't this exactly the problem. A. mellifera S. has a distinct color
> pattern. What the USDA calls AHB does not carry the scutellata pattern from
> what I have been able to find out. Would you call a black bee Italian?

I have seen workers here try to separate bees by color - although very visible
and seemingly simple, it does not seem to be a reliable method.

> Scutellata  is the only African bee with serious problems *in my opinion*.

Probably because the others have not been put in the unique situation that
developed in Brazil. Who knows what other interactions could develop. Ask the
Aussies about cane toads.

> After looking at AHb deeply and trying to read everything I could and now
> back to the start I have a hard time presenting researchers point of view to
> beekeepers. Maybe John Edwards will give his input.

As they say, "I'm not a cowboy, I just found the hat". Have you noticed the lack
of govt. Ph.D.s in these discussion groups? I am a meager research technician
with a degree in Entomology from the Univ. of Arizona, not a research scientist.
During my posts, I have tried to set the record straight on some issues in which
I have a little experience and training. I have always considered research
issues with a grain of salt, having grown up with a cotton farmer (and Texan)
father who was not impressed with the efficiency of the govt.  It really
disturbs me to be the only person on one side of the fence in some of these
discussions on the bee lists.

> My Nebraska friend is a
> excellent beekeeper and reads Bee-L but is a lurker.

Maybe the lurkers, many of whom are very experienced beekeepers, can start
posting. It would help us all to get as many points of view as possible.

> I dedicate this post on
> AHB to my Nebraska friend
> Sincerely,
> Bob Harrison