From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 10:14:46 -0600
> > I was wondering about if I could somehow use "bee go" to get then to come
> > out the hive. (I do not know the regulations on using "bee go".)

>     For the bees to abandon the feral hive location, the queen has to
> leave and she is not likely to leave her home.

I think this 'answer' is just guessing, and I would like to hear from those who
have actually tried it.  It think such a method could work in some cases if the
plan was thought out well ahead of time and properly executed.

It is possible to drive all the bees out of a normal beehive with a repellant
like BeeGo if one is not careful, and judicious use of such repellants can be
applied when trying to drive the queen down when moving the excluder down on a
beehive from a higher up position, so I can't see why it could not work to run
the queen out of a feral hive if one is methodical, and lucky.

I cannot see any reason why success could not be achieved, if the feral hive is
laid out in a way that lends itself to having all the bees driven out -- as
opposed to having them all driven further in further or just to running around
inside at random, dazed from the fumes.  Having some brood comb near the
entrance from which they are driven would help, and, further, if the queen could
walk  on brood comb all the way, it would be even better.

Some caveats:

* BeeGo requires the correct temperature range to work,

* Bees are sensitive to concentrations of fumes.  Too little and they do not
move, too much and they just get dopey or run around in any direction.

* Don't ever use BeeGo anywhere where people have to live, such as the walls of
a dwelling.

Let us know if you can figure out a way to make it work.

BTW, if they are in a cavity that can be filled with water and which can have a
hole drilled at the very top, they can be flooded out the top.

allen