From:
Brian Ames <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 2010 20:42:40 -0400
This is not a blame gamer and I have never portrayed it that way nor did I diss migratory beekeepers in this thread. I reserve the right to be critical of migratory beekeeping practices (NOT INDIVIDUALS)  that ultimately infringes on stationary operations and impacts honeybee health. Afterall I thought we had that in common that we love honeybees and beekeeping and want it to thrive for future generations. I did not realize I had some duty to be protective of the Industrial Ag machine that many feel has hurt beekeeping and farming in general and clearly does not have honeybee health as a first priority.

I feel there is a very convincing and GROWING argument that migratory beekeeping has hit a wall and is unsustainable. From my own echo chamber here in MN I view  CCD as the canary in the coal mine for feedlot beekeeping.  Its fun to debate this stuff with people like Bob, Allen, Jerry, Randy, Bill and a host of many others.

As I find more and more people like Eric Mussen in his last newsletter and the commercial beekeeper from Oregon that echo that same sentiment I will be laying it out here for us to debate further. Sorry if you cannot handle an opposing view....it would be boring if everyone agreed with Bob and Allen and Randy...no?

This thread is an evolution of what I felt was false rhetoric concerning CCD and stationary operations, the group think of beekeepers eager to overlook their own errors and assign the blame on CCD and Allen's rant.

I feel I walk my own talk by making my entire income from my stationary operation and practice what I feel is a sustainable activity that does not intrude or inject pathogens or parasites into the local bee establishment.  Rather then further exacerbate the problem under the premise of I have more hives then You and therefore I count more,  I promote solutions I feel that are in the bees best interest, not in the best interest of some giant agricultural complex.

I look forward to constructive debates with all of you on this issue as time moves forward and I know from my own fan mail that I am not a lone voice in the prairie.