From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 May 2004 12:37:43 +0100
Ruary wondered:
> I have not tried it but I do wonder what happens to the brood when the
> thymol gets into the brood cells.

As someone who uses only thymol crystals to control varroa (now going into
7th year), I was interested in this product - also had doubts about the
direct delivery of thymol to brood cells (and presumably all other cells!).

My understanding is that direct contact with thymol can cause damage to
bees - and, presumably, brood.  This does not happen when evaporating thymol
crystals - the bees are repelled and avoid the container.

Exosect (named after the Exoset missile?) have a website here:
http://www.exosect.com/solutions/products/exomite_apis.asp

Note that trials were only conducted last autumn and with only 33 colonies.
There clearly has not yet enough time to judge the impact on colony health.
The efficiency of <90% is also less than can be achieved with the
application of crystals at the right time.

I also note that the powder is dyed pink.  Remembering tales of green honey
from dyed sugar during the last war, I wonder if there is any danger of pink
honey from treated hives.

The cost of treatment using this product is incredible, starting at £7.25
per colony and only dropping to £6.25 for quantity.  According to their
website, two packs are required for each treatment and treatments are
required in the spring and the autumn.  I make that £25 (plus postage) per
colony per year assuming the reduced price!  Compare this with thymol
crystals at around 32p per treatment.  I received this pricing info from the
company:

Prices
All prices quoted include VAT at 17.5% but not delivery for which a charge
to cover postage should be added.
For one pack to treat one hive   £ 7.25
For two, three or four packs   £ 6.75 each
For five or more packs    £ 6.25 each
Delivery
All packs of Exomite Apis will be despatched within 3 working days of
receipt of your order by second-class post. You should therefore normally
allow 7 working days from ordering to delivery within the UK including the
Isle of Man and Channel Islands.
Postal charges
These are based on rates prevailing as at 1st March 2004.
For one pack of Exomite Apis   £ 0.46
For two packs       £ 0.69
For three packs     £ 0.91
For four packs     £ 1.25