From:
charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 2014 07:59:44 -0500
Charles
Did you say to replace our CRP land with a monoculture of tall grass to go
with the corn/soybean landscape and completely eliminate flowers?  You
recommend that will help my bees?
Just my $0.02 on your "technology improves" idea.
Dave

Nope....  Didn't say one way or the other,  just pointing out the facts.
Unfortunately even here there is some distortion of reality.  People take a
nugget and run with it, Like increase in corn due to ethanol.  Say the 5
million acres number thrown about.   It wasn't really because of ethanol,
but because the price for corn jumped from 3.70 a bushel,  to over 7.00
The market has corrected a underthought government mandate pushed by tree
huggers who didn't see the whole picture.

Some have claimed its speculation...  nope  that's the real prices paid.
Period...
Corn is now back down to 4.00 so you will see a corresponding drop in
acerages.  Some like to dwell on 3-4-5 year old data, and twist it around.

This years report will show a huge increase in bean acres...AS I mentioned
in Feb  since the corn prices dropped last year.

The other day I listened to a guy on AFR radio.  A nice guy who shouldn't be
seen as a Liar,  but his facts were so wrong,  and he let others spout facts
that were totally wrong.   Like the price of food has gone up because of
ethanol.  Not true.   Food grade corn and no2 yellow have always been
different items,  food grade is and has been under contracts for a LONG
time.  If you  look at the prices of it,  and the acres planted you will get
a different picture.

For me the jury is still out, but I like to think readers here would like to
really be informed.  Obviously there will always be some chicken littles out
here.  Just hopeing not everyone.

I also recognize more than most of you, just what monoculture is, and how
bad it is for bees.  I run 150 hives.   No more than 8 in a yard because
above that my yields drop.  I also only get one honey crop a year.  Since I
spend a lot of time in other peoples bee yards in great honey areas,  I am
acutely aware of the problems with my area and monoculture.  I also realize
that  One, I don't own the ground or pay taxes on it.  and two, 200 years
ago it was pretty much just grass which isn't much for bee forage either.

Charles