From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 1 Apr 1998 11:31:05 -0500
On 31 Mar 98 at 18:05, Andy Nachbaur wrote:

> Some may think this is a bee breeder problem but it is not because
> most buyers want the queens then and must have them and not months
> latter when they also are available and be better quality but would
> have little value for making spring increase, so the buyer assumes
> the risk getting queens in the spring and that they are different in
> their life expectancy from year to year depending on the weather.

This is why most Northern dealers are trying hard to re-educate bee
keepers into making splits and re-queening later in the season.If one
stops and considers all the facts they will find it makes a great
deal of sense.
         The only advantage I can find to early splits etc. is a crop in the
first year. But there are a host of disadvantages.

The Bee Works,9 Progress Drive, Unit 2,
Orillia,Ontario. L3V 6H1. Canada.
Phone/Fax 705-326-7171
http://www.muskoka.net/~beeworks