Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Jun 2014 09:28:17 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
Christina wrote:

>Dave's observation that soybeans only produce nectar when it is hot and dry as they can be pollinated by wind otherwise is interesting...I didn't know that some plants can be pollinated by either wind or bees, and also I didn't know that a plant would make nectar when it is "dry" but not when it is moist (?).  I suppose this depends on "how dry"?  I cannot believe they'd have water to spare for nectar if they were badly water-stressed.

I wonder if enhanced nectar production under dry conditions could be a way to help protect and preserve the reproductive organs, like pistils, from desiccation by creating a moister micro-environment inside the flower?  Would depend, in part, on the shape of the flower and location of organs.  I imagine tubular flowers would be better suited for such a strategy, if it even exists.

Basing this idea on memories from my college days, when the folks, who grew certain plants for fun and profit, liked the roots moist, but the tops really hot and dry to produce the most resin.  I always thought the resin was produced to protect the buds.

Bill

###########
Claremont, NH

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2