From:
Tom Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jul 1996 00:05:45 -0400
During the past two  years I have had times when racoons and skunks went to
my hives and took off the sugar syrup bottles  and rolled them down hill some
distance trying to get the cap off. They were not as patient as the bees and
didnot let the sugar water seep out the tiny holes.In one instance the bottle
broke.. My hives are on concrete blocks and the land in front of the  hives
slopes down. Putting chiken wire in front of the hives in the grass  seems to
help. I just stake in loose wire so that I can remove it easily to work the
hives.
Recently a racoon got into my garage where I has stored so honey in  plastic
bottles.
The little devil chewed holes in two ,tipped them over and caused leaks that
made all the rest of the bottles very sticky. Moved the rest to safer
locations and all is well.