Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2012 23:08:26 -0400
> Several years ago, -and the archives
> will support this, it was the fad here
> to credit...

 > If the intent is to promote good  fact based
 > discussion,  -then should guesses and
 > assumptions be accompanied by some
 > supporting documentation or evidence?

Seems to me that people were asking if these might be
explanations for some reports of survival after years of
apparent total extinction of domestic and feral populations
of EHB shortly after exposure to varroa, and discussing the
possibilities. I don't see how anyone could offer documentation
or evidence other than that some of these possibilities had been
demonstrated in other circumstances.

These are still good questions and pretty well all the
success reports are anecdotal, although the Baton Rouge group
are following some commercial bees and trying to get some
metrics and also understand the mechanisms at work in the field.

We are pleased when someone offers a report that stands up to
even cursory scrutiny and even happier when the person continues to
report credible success over a period of years. We seem to
pretty well all accept your reports, but still wonder what the reason
is.  Do you have documentation or evidence explaining your success?

We're still trying to figure out why some have success and why that
success does not seem to be reliably replicated.

Please excuse us if we have inquiring minds.  There are venues
where anything posted is accepted as gospel.  Not BEE-L.

We all knew that bees would increasingly be able to manage varroa,
and instances of that seem to be coming about with increasing
frequency.

We'd like to know the mechanisms, since knowing that would probably
make it possible to steer in that direction, rather than just
wait for it to come to a neighbourhood near us.