From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jan 2006 22:57:00 -0600
Kathy,
Can you shed any light on the reason for the new small hive beetle
regulations at the border. Was the problem discussed at your last meeting.
I posted on both lists ( a month ago as I have been gone for a month living
out of a suitcase) about the new "Q" status for SHB. Everybody was quick to
say the rules were not going to be enforced! Brokers assured no problems at
the border!
Boy were those people misinformed.
The new rule is being enforced and many loads have been turned around for
SHB. The last load I  tried to help get released had two dead SHB found. The
load was
returned to Georgia. The load was certified fire  ant & SHB free under the
new program  before shipment. I watched the process and took pictures. All
the hives were placed on new pallets. I saw no Fire ants or SHB.
Those two dead SHB cost the owner about 20,000 U.S., loss of pollination
fees and loss of pollination to
the almond grower. A load was turned from Louisiana for a single
caterpillar. Also a single bag worm on a load from New York.  After much
hassle some loads (with SHB finds)are being allowed to enter some counties
( although even the person in charge can not tell us which counties)but are
put in quarantine for 30 days ( and treated at owners expenses) which means
they can not be used for almond pollination in most cases.
Requests by apiary inspection departments around the U.S. have had trouble
getting clarification on the new rules. After all the border has been wide
open to SHB since 1998.
I have been told privately Kathy that California queen breeders are pushing
the new rules. Can you confirm?

Now to almond pollination prices. What the heck is going on?
Any truth to the story that almond growers are refusing to pay higher prices
than $80-90 and beekeepers are having trouble placing hives? Two loads from
Missouri have been cancelled by growers.
3800 SHB infested hives are heading into California from the Midwest next
week. Should be interesting. I don't know if they are booked or not. A
beekeeper/broker in California said he needed to place around 15.000 hives
yet on the phone. A friend said ads are being run in "The Fresno Bee" and
other papers advertising thousands of hives for almond pollination asking
fees of 80-90.
Is there or is there not enough hives ?
Thanks in advance!

Bob