Date:
Sun, 26 Feb 2012 19:52:17 -0500
> ... want to compare hive capacities, across platforms.

To do this we must assume a specific state of all hives being compared.  the same hive will have a different volume when plugged full of honey than when newly established with little or no comb.

When thinking of volume do we consider empty cells as being equivalent to empty space?  I would not, but frames of foundation or non-drawn top bars would be, except for the wood,

Some hives have volume that the beekeeper varies.  Some do not.  Knowing how and when to manage the volume is part of the art of beekeeping.

If just measuring empty space is the goal, Archimedes came up with an obvious solution, but IMO all empty space is not equal.

The shape, timing, and position of empty space matter.