From:
Richard Drutchas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Nov 1997 14:52:38 +0000
In regards to the two recent posts on the honey board,Aaron mentioned
that Bill Gamber explained how Argentina shifted its honey exports from
Germany and Europe to the US for the higher prices. Can somebody from
Europe clear this up, I heard antibiotics where found in Argentina honey
and was refused from Europe, probably a bogus rumor or maybe an isolated
case.
It was also mentioned that there are estimates of 10% of the honey sold
in the US is adulterated. I thought the big packers already check the
honey they buy.
Forgive me for jumping around here but this all relates to the NHB. I
have to ask what happens to these national promotion boards, what
happened to the dancing raisins, do most of these boards usually go
belly up, are there any dairy farmers out there that can tell us how
they feel about thier promotion board, and are there other boards run by
producers and packers.
Lastly, Vince wrote,"packing your honey or even selling it direct does
not increase the value of your crop. The extra income is due to the
increased value your additional labor has added". Vince, if this is true
how come the retail price in my area anyway hasn't dropped along with
the barrel prices? The big packers obviously are taking care of
themselves. The big question now is how can the producers get the price
up to where it should be and can a promotion board run by both packers
and producers have the best interest of both in mind.