From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2018 15:38:11 -0500
> However, it sounds like no one is doing this in practice... Apparently you do not do this with your own hives, or think so its worth the time, which is the input I was looking for.

Sorry about the apparent tone of my previous post, I was aiming for brevity. I can weave long elaborate posts as well as anyone, but.

Actually, comb rotation has been recommended for years in Europe and also in the US more recently. I am pretty sure there are a lot of people doing it, and I don't doubt there may be some benefit. However, I have seen so many colonies apparently thriving on very old combs, that I don't think it is worth the cost to be constantly rotating out combs, just because.

Honey bees certainly seem to prefer old combs, but that's probably because they smell homey. Then again, until we have real virus control you will have some people taking steps to decontaminate and others waiting for hard evidence to support it. I certainly wouldn't condemn either approach.

Thanks for participating

PLB