From:
"David. E. Goble" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 May 1996 14:48:59 -0400
>Hi Beekeepers,
>
>I'm kinda new to the list.  I do have a few questions maybe someone can clearly
>answer.
>
>To start a bee hobby. How many colonies should I begin with?  Is one hive
>consider a hobby?
>Also how many hives would I have to increase to be considered a commerical beek
>eeper?
>
>I thank anyone whom replies to my questions.
>
>Elizabeth Balogh

Hi Elizabeth;

        To learn bee management, one, two or three hives can be ideal. To
move into honey production you will need to work for a commerial beekeeper
for at least one season, perferably for two seasons.

        To gain a basic understanding of bee physiology, you will need to
read a lot and manipulate your hives for at least five years to have enough
experience to enter the commerial world.

        A commerial world in beekeeping means an operation of thousands of
hives. To make money and to gain tax advantages, is a business criteria as
against a honey sales criteria.

        For more information and understanding see our home page "Kangaroo
Island Beekeeping", the URL is below in my signature.
Thanks from :
                 http://www.eastend.com.au/~goble
            [log in to unmask] ( David Goble )
           American Beach Kangaroo Island South Australia