From:
Dale Guilford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Apr 1996 21:17:19 +0000
Barry,
I started with a wax melter made of 3/8 plywood and a double pane glass
door. This was about 3foot high and 18 inches square. The design was
fine but we never have enough sun in western New york for me to melt any
 wax. So I converted the same box to a honey heater. I added a platform
to hold a 5 Gal. pail or a varity of containers. This is about 4 inches
from the bottom of the box. Under the platform I added two light sockets
 a fan and a thermostat to shutoff at 125 degrees and turn on at 100
degrees.(I saw somewhere that honey should never be heated over 120
degrees) It works fine with a couple of 60 watt bulbs. It takes about
12-18 hours to liquify a 5 gal. pail. I purchased the thermostat from a
electrical distributor for under $10. The other parts came from a local
hardware store. I don't know how effective the fan is, but it was a
small muffin fan I had around the shop. Bigger bulbs would heat faster
and if I insulated the box it would be more effecienent. However it
works for a hobby bee keeper.   Maybe these ideas will help.