From:
Harry Goudie <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 6 Mar 1998 19:15:20 +0000
This question of the "Organic Garden" is quite interesting.  It is not
clear from the original question whether the gardener requested the bees
to be put in his garden or whether the bees are just near the garden.
If the gardener has requested the bees then, I think, if Apistan is used
it makes a mockery of his "Organic" status.  If on the other hand the
bees are just in his area, even just outside wall,  then unless he is a
complete purist, his "Organic" status should remain intack.
I know this sound very illogical but we have to trust the organic
gardener and this trust would be compromised if he was responsible for
using a pesticide in his garden even although the resultant
contimination was negligable.  On the other hand I don't think he should
be held responsible for the action of others outside his own patch
which, unfortunately seems to be the policy of the Organic Label
Brigade.  This attitude leads to many people giving up the idea saying,
"What's the point of me being organic when all about me is polluted!"
I think there is a point.
--
Harry
Scotland