From:
Scott Moser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 16:26:05 -0500
Greetings all,
     Due to the dry spell around the St. Louis area, several of my hives
were on the light side.  I wanted to increase the weight, so I began feeding
the recommended 2:1 sugar syrup in baggie feeders.  I then switched to High
Fructose Corn Syrup because the price was 1/3 that of sugar.  It was
recommended to mix 3 parts water to 1 part HFCS.  I made the first batch of
it like that and added about 2 cups of old dark honey I extracted last fall.
It seemed too weak, so I started mixing 2:1, and adding about the same
amount of honey.  Question is, they don't seem to use 2 quarts of HFCS as
fast as 2 quarts of sugar syrup.  Is this normal?  If not, how can I
increase the intake to get as much stored for the winter as possible.  I
don't want to have to rely entirely on candy trays this winter.  Feel free
to e mail me direct.  Thanks,
Scott Moser