From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jun 2015 19:47:42 -0500
I have 4 hives on individual scales that are plotted on a chart one reading a minute, just to see if messing with the hives would put off foraging. I smoked 2 while not smoking the other 2 the amount of nectar collected dropped by about 30% on the smoked hives for that day.

 I was pondering this more today While driving.....  Normally I try to work hives in the evenings.  My theory has been they have all night to recover.   I was also pondering something Michael Bush says all the time,  " a little smoke is less disruptive than not smokeing them......"  For that same reason (not setting them back,  I seldom smoke nucs.  Normally they are calm enough its not an issue.    I am curious if anyone has info on  Variations of how much smoke?  Time of day,  or just a gentle intrusion effects the hives??

Charles