From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 9 Nov 1996 22:16:14 -0600
> This person used one method, in syrup, and was partially wrong to
> use syrup in a hive top feeder. Until someone who has used it
> correctly over a period of time comes along to tell us it doesn't
> work, then I suggest we keep an open mind.
>         Comments?

I agree.

Essential oils promise some -- perhaps considerable -- assistance in
dealing with many bee diseases, including even foulbrood.

The problem is that methods of application, acceptable levels,
toxicity to bees (and people) and many other important factors
surrounding use in bee hives have not been established with
sufficient certainty to make oils a foolproof and routine treatment.

We are still at the experimental stage -- at least in America -- and
we are likely in for some surprises, both pleasant, and not.  Anyone
using these recommendations should restrict the number of hives in
the test to what he/she can afford to lose.  IMO anyhow.

BTW, did anyone read the article in Speedy Bee about Apistan
resistance in Switzerland?

Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
Internet:[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, & Art <http://www.internode.net/~allend/>