From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Apr 2017 08:39:10 -0500
At risk of revealing a cuddly center inside an exterior consisting mostly of
sharp edges, it seems only prudent to discourage those unprepared to be
responsible for the care of God's Creatures (capitalization intended, and
not ironic).

"Success" is not the issue.  The issue is the ability/willingness to engage
in responsible animal husbandry.  Perhaps it could be described as a
"concern for one's neighbors" or "good citizenship".  One wants to weed out
the reckless yahoos.  One must teach values and ethics along with
queen-marking and split-making.

Beekeeping, at its core, is the art of making ethical choices when no one is
watching. Of course hives die even when you "do everything right".  But far
more important than "doing things right" is to DO THE RIGHT THING.

James,  seems we would disagree

My point was who the heck made us the deciders of the above statements.
Seems to me a dang lot of Hubris involved in deciding that any one of us in
particular are adept at determining the above items.

I would say anyu one in NYC should be banned from bees,  You would be amazed
at some of the calls I have gotten from NY beeks..... Bizzare...  but  Not
my place to make that call.

Jusat as none of us are quialified to say who will make a great beek,  or a
bad one,  or even what that entails.  That idiot who doesn't treat may end
up being the guy who gets mite free bees....

So in the mean time.....  I say we stay the heck out of those decisions....
Of course maybe the NYC Mayor when he gets done regulating softdrinks,  can
tell us how to make those decisions.....

Charles