From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jul 2001 00:34:46 -0400
Allen Dick said:

> Have you considered Vaseline?  It has been fairly well recommended in this list
> and others to prevent propolization between supers and on frame rests.

I'll stick with beeswax, thanks.  I'll even go so far to suggest
that beeswax is far superior to any other substance for the purpose.

a) Vaseline would be yet another messy, sticky thing
     to try to keep off my hands, the interior of my Volvo
    "bee-mobile", tools, clothes, dogs, doorknobs, cellphone,
     Palm Pilot, computer keyboard, wife...

b)  I have no idea what the bees might do with vaseline
     (Does anyone really know?)

c)  Vaseline is petroleum-based.  I'd rather not introduce
     a petrochemical into a hive if I can avoid it.

d)  Beeswax works just fine.  Propolis seems to have
     a hard time sticking to it.  I have lots of it.  I can
     paint it on thick.  When it dries, it is a sturdy coating.

e)  Beeswax was even "Mil-Spec".  WWI infantrymen used
     it to keep their cartridges and powder dry.  Back then,
     beeswax was a "strategic resource".

f)   Why am I so stubborn about this point?
     Its "none of your beeswax"!   :)

        I had to work that one in somehow.  :)

        jim

        farmageddon