Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 2010 09:31:43 -0700
Problem:  The eggs this one queen lays won't hatch.
Background:  This queen is one of four from packages bought this last spring and installed on brand new equipment with wax foundation.  The other three queens are going great and two have even produced excess honey for extraction.  These hives belong to a newbee that I'm getting started.  I've never run across this problem before.

This particular queen will lay eggs in the cells and then they won't hatch.   They don't even produce drone brood.  I'm not sure if the unhatched eggs are canabalized and the queen relays in the cells or if the eggs are just left in the cells and not bothered.   Frames of eggs and brood from the other hives, when inserted in this hive, develop and emerge normally.  I'm going to try to get a queen to replace this one, but with this unusual situation I'm wondering if this queen might not need to be kept and examined/tested by a qualified experimental beekeeper to see what the situation might be.

Mike in LA