Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Dec 2018 21:48:11 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (27 lines)
this was posted a little over one year ago, by Bill H.

Subject: Loss of flying insect population
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2017 

> Our analysis estimates a seasonal decline of 76%, and mid-summer decline of 82% in flying insect biomass over the 27 years of study. We show that this decline is apparent regardless of habitat type, while changes in weather, land use, and habitat characteristics cannot explain this overall decline. This yet unrecognized loss of insect biomass must be taken into account in evaluating declines in abundance of species depending on insects as a food source, and ecosystem functioning in the European landscape.

Further back:

Subject: Fewer Bugs on the Windshield
Date: 2011-07-08
> I drove from Alberta to Southern Ontario in June -- almost 2,000 miles -- and hardly used any washer fluid. In previous trips -- the last previous trip was five years ago and I noticed fewer bugs then, too -- I would have used nearly a gallon.

and:

Date: 14 Apr 2011
> By the time we left Normandy, having started clear, the windscreen of the   coach was almost opaque from impacted insects and the driver had to get out  his  mop and bucket to clean it. Thence we headed north towards Cambridge, skirting London and passing through commercial agriculture for 100 miles. The windscreen was hardly spattered at all and the driver didn't bother to clean it.

ΒΆ

Looks like this one has to be discovered over and over.

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2