Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 2010 15:34:44 -0400
> Could you do me a big favor and dissolve some
> dysentery spots in a drop of water and place under a scope to see if there
> are pollen grains?

My bees have not had dysentery since I shifted to George Imire's method of
winter feed management, which is fairly simple. Extract after clover, put
the extracted supers over an inner cover. Extract in the fall after the last
blooms/first killing frost (usually late Sept for me).

What this did was allow the bees to have mostly lighter summer honey in the
bottom boxes and the later fall honey went into the top supers (and is the
best honey of the season). So they have lighter honey to overwinter on. The
later nectar is Aster, which crystallizes at the drop of a hat. I get lots
of honeydew, which tastes great but usually never cures enough so ferments
in the cells if left all winter. Most all of it ends up in the top boxes
that I pull in Sept.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine