From:
Geert van Eizenga <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2012 06:53:19 +0200
Allan stated: In the case of drizzling 50 ml. of a 3.5% solution of the
dihydrate, very roughly speaking, less than 1.5 g of the actual acid is
applied directly to the bees, but is assumed to be ingested.

As far as I know: oxalic acid is a contact poison, which is NOT ingested by
the bees. However: mixing in a sugar solution is far more effective than
the pure 3.5% or 4% solution. I prefer trickling a ready-made oxalic
solution with contains also sugar, propolis as well, but could never
establish any ingesting by the bees: they ignore my wastage on the top
bars. Interesting to read is the following test: “Bee-to-bee contact drives
oxalic acid distribution in honey bee colonies”, Nicholas P. Aliano, Marion
D. Ellis, University Nebraska-Lincoln. Apidologie 39 (2008) 481–487
Do we know HOW oxalic application really works? My guess is still that it
works as a contact poison.

Very useful info is also in the following paper/proceedings of
"Coordination in Europe of research on integrated control of Varroa mites
in honey bee colonies". Proceedings from the Meeting November 13 and 14,
1999. Agricultural Research Centre-Ghent, Merelbeke, Belgium. I suppose:
paper can be found on the internet. If not found I will be happy to forward
it!

Geert van Eizenga? The Netherlands

--

Green Bee Consultancy