From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Aug 2008 15:57:37 -0500
Hello Peter & All,
I did not mean to say you knew little of commercial beekeeping but rather
the general population and for the most part hobby beekeepers. After all the
USDA-ARS recent information said there are less than 1000 commercial beeks
in the U.S. with a population of 300 million people. Many of the 1000 are
simply box movers for the bosses.

> For example, a lot of people think that
beekeepers are the source of the problem with their various practices. If
that isn't true, best say it isn't so, instead of cloaking yourself in
secrecy.

I have said so many times but few listen. This list used to constantly bash
commercial migratory beeks until I came on. I believe now many are beginning
to at least understand those beekeepers position.
In your last post I heard the same old tired arguments that everything we do
is wrong and there is a better way.

As I said in the last post. Raising queens in summer and over wintering as
nucs and wintering in New York is fine for sideline and others but is not a
sound business practice for the large beeks doing pollination or wanting to
increase numbers by say four. Yes take a thousand hives and turn into 4000
in a months time. Raising your own queens. Done before the wraps are taken
off in New York.

By the time Kurt and others are taking the first looks at their hives many
commercial migratory beeks have already done almonds, made splits and the
bees are in other pollinations.

I started working helping migratory beeks in Florida in the summer at age
thirteen. The first ran around 500 hives and had a Payne loader ( pallets
were not in use at the time ) . The next couple did all movement by hand.
One sent around 8000 hives into Minnesota fireweed. Semis were loaded by
hand. 90F. weather with unbearable humidity and all hives had open
entrances. 25-50 stings a day was common. My mother made me several sweat
bands as one was not enough. Most newbees quit at lunch break. However if
you could take the rough part you enjoyed the making splits and other jobs
which involved less stings. Although I am an avid reader of bee books etc. I
have worked alongside some of the outstanding beeks of my lifetime. I have
learned things about bees which is not in print. Some of those beeks if they
are not working bees they are asleep and not wanting to be disturbed.
We worked till the work was done without regard to the number of hours. Even
if you might not get off from moving bees at night at 2 am you were expected
to be ready to go at shift start the next morning.
In Agriculture you do not have to pay overtime so if you want to make extra
money you simply put in the hours. In the busy season many outfits work 7
days a week. These days I do not work Sundays unless the job is pumping
honey for the girls to bottle next day or a little job. However I have
worked 7 days for weeks at a time when behind on bee work. I do think of
really retiring ( officially retired in 1998 or at least we had a cake and
celebrated my retirement) but I go lay down on the couch for an hour and the
mood passes.

bob