From:
Baker's Bees <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2017 11:42:12 -0700
> On Nov 30, 2017, at 8:57 AM, John Sallay <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> I don’t know what the water absorption and insulation value of a quilt box with wood shavings might be, but I tend to think it’s closer to the Homasote than the pink insulation.

John,

As many quilt boards are designed with airflow in mind, I would bet the R value is almost nothing. The moisture absorption should be much more significant though.  No quilt box could hold 30L of water, but it doesn’t need to hold 30L, in our area, all at one time to be able to mitigate moisture in a colony. Whether or not moisture needs to mitigated, I don’t know. A common saying here is “wet bees are dead bees”.

David Baker
To Bee or Not To Bee
Denver, Colorado USA