From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 1 Jan 2008 23:51:16 -0500
I said:
>> This [diesel fumes] would not explain the CCD cases
>> found in non-migratory operations...

Randy offered:
> I don't think that Bob was trying to explain CCD cases.

This thread was started by Bob, entitled "CCD" by Bob,
and kicked off with this extraordinary claim from Bob:

>>> beekeepers talking CCD with other beekeepers have
>>> came up with any interesting finding to consider.
>>> Most CCD claimed crashes of semi loads of bees occurred
>>> after the bees were unloaded at their destination.

I don't see much room for alternative interpretation,
even if it would be entertaining to hear Randy's
explanation of what Bob might have actually meant.

I guess the deciding factor here would be what, if any
level of combustion byproducts could be found in bees,
on comb, and so on.  Something that could cause a
hive to collapse in days would have to be a serious
and detectable level of hydrocarbons.

Regardless, I don't see how a truckload of bees in any
but the coldest temperatures could be left idling at a
truck stop long enough to get a "good whiff" of diesel
exhaust without first suffering from the heat and lack
of ventilation.  Yes, one can hose down the load and
keep the bees cool, but even this does not allow a load
to sit for hours at a time.  Yes, midwestern bees are
moved "cold" to the almonds, but aside from bees being
moved to the almonds, I can't think of any other scenario
where bees would be moved "cold".

When in motion, trucks tend to create quite a bit of
turbulence in their wake.  Follow a tractor-trailer in
the rain for a demonstration of the long vortex trucks
leave behind.  I guess it is possible for the hives
nearest the exhaust pipes to get some serious whiffs,
but I can't see the whole load getting a snootfull.

I recall seeing soot smudges on trailers near the
exhaust pipes that are fairly narrow and well defined,
showing that the exhaust is quickly picked up and fed
into the slipstream around the trailer.

But the idea would be easy to confirm or deny with
simple and low-cost tests.