From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jun 2013 15:18:58 -0400
> Peter, you need more field experience!

When I was living in San Diego running 500 colonies, getting and keeping good locations was my number one problem. I lost more good locations than a lot of beekeepers have ever had. All due to the suburban sprawl. Moving further into the back country I saw my yields plummet. On the coast you could make a three hundred pound average. Inland, 100 was considered a jackpot.

When I moved to Upstate NY, I found getting locations was so easy, that I began to be extremely fussy about every detail, since I could pick and choose. So much depends on where you are. To say that I need more experience is a tad rude, I am in my sixties and have done bees for 40 years. To walk a mile in YOUR shoes, would be at least more tactful.

But finally, beekeeping is ABOUT locations. If you can't get good locations in your area, you aren't in a good area. If everybody around you is spraying stuff, what can you do except move. Not every region in the country is suitable for honey bees. Migratory beekeepers know this. Stationary beekeepers want the world to change for them.

Pete