From:
Date:
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 09:13:49 -0600
Kyle pointed out that we have videos detailing building bear-proof fences
at You can view the videos at http://biology.umt.edu/bees/video.htm.  These
fences were developed and tested over a period of several years through a
cooperative effort by the MT Dept of Fish and Wildlife and some of our
largest commercial beekeepers (2-5,000) colonies.  Many of our beekeepers
have large beeyards in bear country.  The final design has proven to be
very effective.

Because we have a dry climate, figuring out a reliable ground system so
that the bear would be zapped took some innovative thinking.  The
directions for these fences are very detailed and the videos show the
reactions of bears and crews building the fences, including beekeeper
comments.

These fences have been tested, both through extended service around
beeyards and by baiting an enclosure with road-killed animals.  In one
case, a train derailment spilled grain near Glacier Park.  One of these
fences was erected around the grain pile.  A smart bear climbed up on a
rock outcrop and jumped into the enclosure.  Only problem, they found the
bear still inside the enclosure - well satiated, but unable or unwilling to
climb out.

Cheers

Jerry