From:
Casey Burns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 1995 13:22:22 -0700
Re my bee sting experiences last month.....

I tested positive for honey bee sting allergy this morning, less so for
the other common hymnoptera, and am planning to go through
desensitization therapy. Have any other beekeepers experienced this - and
if so, how long did it take, and how successful was it?

For the uninitiated, the test is quite fascinating. First, they test you
with a generic histamine to make sure that nothing (like Benadryl or some
condition) is blocking a response. Then they apply a drop of .001mg/ml of
various venoms on your skin, and prick eack point with a needle. After 15
minutes, if no reaction, they apply a drop of .01mg/ml subcutaneously
with a hypodermic. They keep doing this with the various species at
increasing concentrations at different sites on the skin until the final
test, which is at 10mg/ml, which is about 1/100 the dose from a typical
sting. I reacted to the honeybee at the .01 concentration. I didn't react
to the wasps, hornets or yellowjackets until the final dose, 1000 times
as strong as the final Honeybee dose (once a reaction, they stop applying
that particular venom). Most people react to the 10mg/ml dose.

The therapy consists of weekly injections of bee venom, very watered down
at first, increasing to up to 2 stings worth near the end - up to 5
years! Within 6 months, it will be safe for me to get stung - so I will
work my bees next spring (a friend will help me this fall apply strips,
perform inspections, etc.). ALthough this therapy and my ride to the
emergency room is probably a direct result of beekeeping, I am not eager
to give it up lock stock and barrel. Doing so doesn't make me any less
allergic, although it certainly minimises the risk. But it is humbling....

Casey Burns