From:
"Hasta B. Shasta" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 5 Jul 1999 15:46:59 -0700
On the issue of compensation, what are the damage limits to an action in
small claims court in your state? In California, the limit is $5,000,
which would cover the costs should all my bees be killed and their hives
burned. Although I am in sympathy with your oft-repeated demands for
criminal prosecution, the reality of crowded court calendars and the
levels of violent crime make such prosecution unlikely. The advantages
of using small claims court include no legal costs to the plaintiff
beyond filing fees and the cost of giving notice via registered mail.
Most of all, court ordered compensation will discourage further misuse
of pesticides.