Date:
Thu, 31 May 2012 13:01:08 -0400
>I'm new to the industry and trying to get a better understanding of what it
>would mean to be a full time beekeeper.

Seeing as no one has really answered this, I'll try to start.

Someone said that works expands to fill the time available for it.  That applies to
beekeeping.  If I choose to, I can be busier now with 50 hives than I was with 4,500.

Some people find it take 50 or 75 thousand hives to keep them and their families
busy.  Others can make a living with a hundred or so.  It depends on many things,
including what a person considers to be a living.  Some people are happy with a
subsistence, bit others want new cars and a big house and holidays...

There are many ways to make a living with bees.  Some products are more valuable
than others.  Some people are better marketers than others and can talk people
into paying high prices.  Others sell similar products at a loss.

Having said all that, the typical number I've seen one person run without hiring
more than occasional help is about 500 to 800.  That is in honey production.
Queen rearing and other specialties would require fewer colonies for one person.

Hope that helps, or at least starts a discussion.