From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 2006 20:40:47 -0400
[log in to unmask] wrote:

>I see the same in my colonies.  I used to think this was night
>temperature related - cooler nights in the spring and fall cause the
>bees to cluster tightly restricting the queen to lay a tighter
>pattern?

Hello Waldemar,

This is a good observation you have made.  The (a) size of the brood
pattern and (b) brood viability are BOTH very important, but they are
different (although related to each other).

For Largeness of Brood Pattern- I would Look size of the brood patterns on
brood frames during flows of nectar and pollen.  This may increase and
decrease in size according to the seasonal changes and in bee population
changes.  This is OK with me if I see fluctuating brood pattern size as
long as it is justified by seasonal conditions or in response to cluster
size.

These pics on Daves link illustrate very well what is meant by largeness
or size of brood pattern:

http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman/broodest.html

Brood viability which is also very important, is a bit different in what
to look for:

Solidness of Brood Pattern- (Brood Viability).  Denotes out-breeding
associated with open mating (Brother Adam I think).  Look for solid flat
brood pattern, absence of empty cells.  There are significant correlations
of brood viability to winter survival (Tarpy & Page).  A colony’s
phenotype is a reflection of the tasks performed by its workers and a
significant concave relationship exists between brood viability and worker
population (Tarpy & Page).  Increased genetic diversity has a direct
influence on task diversity, disease resistance and other factors
determining colony fitness (Oster and Wilson), and provides a buffer
against fluctuations in the environment (Crozier and Page).  Multiple
mating promotes colony fitness by lowering the probability that the queen
will produce a high proportion of unviable diploid males within her brood
(Tarpy & Page).  Colonies with a high level of polyandry will have a
substantial fitness advantage  because of differences in growth rate
during colony development (Cole & Wiernasz).

Here in this article, studies by Tarpy and Seeley support the importance
of brood viability in disease resistance in honeybee colonies:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn10173-promiscuous-queen-bees-make-
healthier-hives.html

"This is convincing evidence that multiple-mated hives seem to suffer less
disease," says Francis Ratnieks.

Here are a few links that explain brood viability and what to look for:

Breeding Improved Honey Bees
Mackensen Brood viability method
http://www.beesource.com/pov/usda/breeding3.htm

Glenn Apiaries