From:
Peter Armitage <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2019 09:51:30 -0500
<<By the way, you didn't say what the primary honey plant is in your region. Fireweed?>>

Pending systematic research into our nectar/pollen sources, I'd say white clover, fireweed, and goldenrod for the most important ones.  But it depends where in the province your apiary is located and variable climate factors.  For example, where my apiaries are at the base of the Bonavista Peninsula, most of our honey crop was made by the end of July last season because we had a serious drought all August.  I think we got nothing from the goldenrod last year because it flowers in August and early September, and the drought hit it hard.  So, that means my floral sources for most of my honey were primarily fireweed plus whatever miscellaneous plants were about within forage range. I got a lovely, light fireweedy honey last season.  In contrast, in 2017, I think I had a lot of goldenrod in the honey (darker, crystalized quickly, strong goldenrod flavour) which I'm not keen on.

We need to get some research on the go so that we can provide a more educated determination as to our primary nectar/pollen sources.