From:
"J.Troyer" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 16 Aug 1997 18:33:48 -0500
This is in response to the question posted by Rett Thorpe
<[log in to unmask]> about the use of queen excluders and
the use of drilled entry holes in the supers.

I do use drilled entry holes on most deep hive bodies. Bees
seem to love them. I do not use any secondary entry holes
on supers except for the normal vents on the inner cover. I
usually do not use excluders. However, if I did use excluders
(as I sometimes do) there would be less chance the queen would
crawl up outside the hive and enter a super since there would
be no easy entry holes. If the queen somehow did go through
the excluder, she might be able to get out through the vents
on the inner cover. Incidentally, I have found a queen above
an excluder a few times so it may be a good idea to make sure
the cover is vented.
--
JTroyer  Mail to:[log in to unmask]
http://www.concentric.net/~bkeep200