From:
Jack Fujii <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 1995 14:38:52 -1000
Aloha Diane!
Hives that are weak are those that are attacked by moths.  There are
basically two species of moths that attack honeybee hives, the Lesser wax
moth, Achroia grisella (Fab.) (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae) and the Greater
wax moth, Galleria mellonella (Linn.) (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae).  You
should get in contact with Cornell Univ. Cooperative Extension Service
for more info on these moths.  If the hive is really weak, the moths can
take over the hive.  You can place frames infested with the moth larvae
in strong hives and the bees should clean them up.  I hope this info helps.
Jack
Hilo, HI