From:
Bruce Guidotti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 19:24:03 EDT
In a message dated 9/20/99 2:12:39 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<<  According to the designers experience on his
colonies, this bottom board eliminates any need for chemical
treatment. >>

Tom:

There have been many strings of e-mails on this subject.  You should go to
the archives.

My understanding is that screened bottom boards are a help but not
necessarily a replacement for chemical treatment.   Diane Sammataro who has
researched the subject has said it will reduce varroa approximately 10% which
can help a healthy hive, but is probably not suffcient in an of itself.

One big issue from my experience:   I used a screened bottom board this
summer over a conventional bottom board.  Major downside is bees can't get to
lower bottom board.  I removed it when I medicated the hive a week ago.  I
had a MASSIVE infestation of wax moths and wax moth larvae under the board.

If you use a screened board, you have to figure some way to be able to sweep
the conventional bottom board under it regularly -- or some way to keep the
bottom of the hive exposed.

Anyone on the Bee-L have any facts or opinions about what would happen if I
used the screened bottom board on the 12" deep closed in box I use for a
stand on my hives?  Would wax moths still be a problem since it would still
be a closed in space under the hive?

Only good suggestion I got from prior stings of mail was to make the bottom
board accessible from the back of the hive for periodic sweeping.  Since my
bees aren't at my home, anyone have any less labor intensive suggestions.

Bruce