From:
David E MacFawn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Nov 2016 13:51:10 -0500
>>You may be correct about the field-realistic exposure levels,  yet we
find that for some viruses, we can't reuse the combs.  In 2010, I  put the
combs from a collapsed colony into an observation hive wired to monitor  bee
flight activity.  Within 3 months the collapse played out just as one  would
expect.  Best that we could determine, the bees introduced were  thriving when
placed into the hive.

So,  from a day-to-day practical application, does this mean we should  not
reuse plastic foundation brood frames?  I still use beeswax foundation
brood frames and replace them typically when a colony dies for some "unknown"
reason.

What about plastic foundation honey super frames?  I typically run  beeswax
foundation brood frames that I replace on a five year rotation or when a
colony dies  for some unknown reason.  However, I run plastic  foundation in
my honey supers.

Replacing frames is expensive, but sure beats having viruses in the  colony.

Dave MacFawn
Lexington, SC