From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 May 2011 13:21:55 -0400
> A little ball of queen candy, a piece of miniature marshmallow, or a crumpled clover leaf work fine for such a delay.

What I would NOT do is put a little wax 'n'  honey in there. They usually will fill the space up with wax if you do, and she's trapped.

While a tad bit off topic, I would like to mention banking queens. Some folks do this, for weeks even. Dennis vanE told me that this is harmful for more than a few days. The only access the bees have to the queens is her tongue and feet. He told me that they ten to chew her feet off.

Insofar as banking them for short periods, I have had good luck setting an excluder over a decent colony and laying the queen cages (properly corked, of course) on top of this. A one inch rim is set and the lid is put over this. There will be some shrinkage (queens dead) over time.

PLB