From:
Steve Noble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2007 12:11:43 -0400
I am not what you would call a seasoned veteran of beekeeping like most of
the contributors to this list.  I’m a hobbyist.  I’ve been at it for about
five years now and I am up to about six hives in my back yard and
elsewhere.  I do have a degree in zoology but I never pursued a career in
the life sciences.  I only offer this in the way of a grain of salt to be
taken when considering what I am about to say.
    A couple of years ago I mentioned to the list a prediction made by
Rudolf Steiner, almost a century ago, regarding the collapse of beekeeping,
which was, according to him, to take place right about this time.  At the
time I had no way of gauging the accuracy of his prediction or the
soundness of his basis for making it, and I still don’t.  He was an
influential occult spiritualist whose teachings have a wide following even
to this day.  As I remember, his main concern for the future of beekeeping
was due to the rising popularity of the practice of artificial
insemination, which he thought was a bad idea.  I don’t think I give
Steiner any more credit that he has coming to him for making a prediction
that may or may not be coming true before our eyes, but it has given me
food for thought when I read about all the beekeeping bad news, and
contemplate what bees are, and how their relationship to humans came to be
what it is.
   My main understanding of the current state of beekeeping comes from
reading this list.  From it I have formed a general impression that
beekeeping has evolved into something quite different than it was a hundred
years ago when Rudolf Steiner made his prediction; not for everyone but
just in general, and especially in the developed nations such as the United
States and Canada where agriculture is so… so big.  Obviously commercial
beekeeping and agriculture have evolved together, emerging as very large
scale operations which have a degree of codependence upon each other.  From
my background in biology I have a very general understanding of the
complexity of the evolution of biological systems, and of the dynamics of
populations.  If I think of the honey bee as a naturally occurring organism
which has evolved over vast expanses of time to adapt to a somewhat broad,
but never the less limited range of environmental conditions, I am able to
vaguely imagine a set of parameters which are ideal for the species as a
whole.  It would be tempting to exclude human intervention from this
picture, but it can not be denied that, at least up to a point, the success
of Apis mellifera is, in fact, due to human exploitive activity.  Having
said that, it is at the same time hard to see how the current extent of
this exploitation can further the long term interest of the honey bee
species.  There are many aspects to this dilemma, but one that surely can
not be ignored is the discrepancy that exists between how bees would
distribute themselves in nature, and how they are forced to exist in medium
to large scale beekeeping operations.  Beyond that there are the processes
that are involved in generating enough bees and queens to keep this
industry supplied.  How close to nature, or should I say how far from
nature have these techniques and processes become?
    I would not argue, as some do, that we should get our honey, like the
bears, from trees and hollow logs, but I do think that it is a mistake to
think that there is no limit to how far you can take a living system from
its naturally designed way of existing, without eventually finding yourself
way out on a limb with it.  That is where it seems to me beekeeping and
agriculture in general, is going or has gone; out on a limb.  No one knows,
least of all me, just how far out on a limb we are, nor how long we can
stay there before it breaks, but it seems clear that a correction is being
made even as we speak.  It also seems clear that this correction will be
motivated by purely economic reasons, not by any highly conscious level of
understanding of what is optimal for bees.  In fact that doesn’t seem to be
the main thrust of the conversation.  It’s more about how can we keep this
ship flying with parts missing.

Steve Noble