From:
Steve Newcomb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 20:11:20 -0500
I have the same problem this year.  My bees have barely touched the honey
in the top deeps.  We discussed this at our recent association meeting.
The best suggestion that I received, and one that I plan to follow, is to
use the capped frames as a food source for splits.

I hope to split my 2 strong hives into at least 3 new ones.  I will take
the capped frames out, and replace them with undrawn rite-cell, alternating
capped and new foundation across the brood chamber.

This should give me a good food source, control swarming, and get me more
hives.

This plan will only work if the bees don't eat everything between now and
April 1st.

Steve Newcomb
Elyria, OH