From:
"D. Murrell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Apr 2008 10:07:53 -0400
Hi Guys,

>There may be one or a combination of things that cause the symptoms.

I am reminded of the bald headed brood seen when bees uncap varroa infected
sealed brood. Small cell beekeepers discussed this behavior and found it
associated with wax moth infestation. And others in NZ found the behavior
and couldn't find any obvious pest. It appeared to be a common mechanism for
handling a variety of pests.

My experience with CCD indicated a complete breakdown of colony
organization/function rather than a copping mechanism. It's completely
opposite of a non-CCD hive's efforts to preserve colony function/survival at
all cost.

A very inexperienced beekeeper could misdiagnose CCD. But, I suspect that,
even if many inexperienced falsely reported something else as CCD, their
hive count would insignificantly impact the numbers generated by the massive
commercial hive losses.

Anyone running more than a few hives for a few years wouldn't miss the
difference. And any commercial beekeeper would spot it instantly. It's that
different.

Regards
Dennis