From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 2008 15:31:17 EST
I was in WalMart with one of our MT beekeepers, who was showing a  visitor
his honey on the shelf.  Farther down the shelf, I saw bottles  of  Sugar Free
HONEY.

Somehow, that seemed a bit difficult to do - let's face it, honey is mostly
sugar.  Nothing on the label, other than the word HONEY in large print  on the
label, indicated that anything in the bottle had anything to do  with honey.

So, where is the honey industry at on this?  How can anyone call a  non-honey
product, HONEY?

This wasn't listed as Imitation Honey, like you see on Imitation Maple  syrup.

Nor was it using a substitute term like margarine for butter,  since the
dairy industry won't let you call imitation butter, BUTTER.

Of course, Dairy Queen still gets away with using the word dairy, much  to
the frustration of my dairyman father, who would never go to a Dairy Queen
while he was alive.

Now, I remember many years ago when a large grocery chain suddenly decided
to quit selling locally produced milk.

My father and members of the MT Dairy Association came up with a novel
strategy.  They and their wives, family members, all went to this  chain's stores,
loaded up carts with groceries, pushed them up to the  checkout clerk, then
asked where their milk was.

Of course, the clerk had to say - we don't carry it.  At which time  the
dairy person would say - if you won't buy my milk, I'm not buying your  groceries
- and they'd leave, with the full carts still sitting in the  checkout
stations.  Amazingly, in a few days, the grocery had a change of  mind - and it was a
national chain.

Maybe beekeepers need to do the same to WalMart and anyone else selling
Sugar Less Honey?  :)

Jerry

5 Travel Deals!