Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 00:49:13 EDT
In a message dated 7/23/00 10:02:59 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

>  I'm interested in what patterns beekeepers have noticed in farm stand
>  retail sales through harvest season

Some people buy every week, some much less frequently. I think it helps alot
to sell in one pound or less containers to keep people coming back, keep the
unit price low  and margin high. They say they want large containers but I
think the consumer behavior leans toward more frequent purchases of smaller
volumes. I see no advantage to retailing large containers. The one pound
consumer is preferable in the long run.

People who consume honey infrequently are always concerned about shelf life.
Reassuring them about that usually closes the sale.

For small producers, emphasizing higher quality and an appropriately high
retail price is the way to go, (err on the high side of price, you may be
surprised by what people will be happy to pay for quality). A higher price
makes up for any loss in sales volume.

Direct beekeeper contact with consumer and alot of education is also
important. Consumer ignorance about honey is profound.  People love to ask
questions about bees and then get a kick out of buying from the beekeeper.
Educated people consume more honey.

Cesar Flores